If a vehicle is being sold out of state, the owner of the vehicle must:
- Complete the Transfer of Title by Owner section on the back of the Kentucky Title
- Print name and address of the buyer/transferee
- Correct odometer reading is required
- Transferor/seller signatures
- Date of transfer/sale
- Have the title signed and notarized by a notary public with a seal and retain a copy of the front and back of the title for personal records
To ensure the vehicle is removed from the tax records:
- Return copy of the front and back of the filled out title along with the license plate to the county clerk’s office.
- Have the title signed and notarized by a notary public with a seal.
- Bring title to a motor vehicle service center or mail title to processing center.
If the current year taxes have not been paid, they will be due at the time of the cancellation process. This can be done at any of our eight motor vehicle service branch locations or by mail.
Jefferson County Clerk’s Office
Attention: Motor Vehicle Processing Center
P.O. Box 33033
Louisville, KY 40232-3033